Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Stealing The B's Thunder: Montreal To Have Outdoor Game?

Let me preface this piece by saying I hate the Montreal Canadiens. Let me preface that preface by saying I've learned that hating the Montreal Canadiens is like riding the biggest rollercoaster at (Original) Six Flags. One week, they're the cousin whose pants you hide in the tree during vacation just to see him get mad, but you'll help him because he's family. The next week they're the brother who decides to reveal your secret fascination with Hello Kitty products to a girl you fancy on the first date, causing you to curse his name and buy voodoo dolls in his honor.

This one though, this one hits a nerve.

Rumor's are growing that tomorrow when the NHL schedule is released, it'll be revealed that the Montreal Canadiens will take on the Washington Capitals at Olympic Stadium in Montreal, former home of the now extinct Montreal Expos on November 28th. Surely you jest, right? If the NHL really decides to take the spotlight of the outdoor game away from Boston, Montreal's biggest rival, by awarding the Habs an outdoor game to close out their centennial celebration, I for one, will probably require a bucket to vomit in.

The Montreal Canadiens centennial season, or apparently never-ending centennial season is going to continue into the 2009-10 season? Seriously? I guess the All-Star Game and NHL Draft weren't enough to appease the Habs faithful, now you're going to give them an outdoor game before the 2010 Winter Classic? I firmly believe that we've all had enough of this Montreal 100 season brouhaha. It's bad enough we had to watch Mike Komisarek become an All-Star thanks to the Habs voting scam, it's bad enough we had to see the Habs wear their red, white, and blue prison uniforms this season and to make this short (like the Habs newest top line) and to the point: The fans of the other 29 teams in the NHL have had enough.

Congratulations on being 100 years old Montreal, you guys really deserve it.

That doesn't make much sense, does it? Neither does rewarding Montreal an outdoor game after they've been rewarded with every other fan attraction possible for a team who finished in eighth place in the Eastern Conference and underachieved throughout the entire season. Legacy and longevity doesn't mean anything when you look at the Habs recent fortunes. They've boo'd their own goalie, chanted the name of the coach they ran out of town when the team faltered to win with a new coach, have gone 1-8 in their last nine playoff games, and currently have a plethora of question marks heading into the 2009-10 season.

They invade Boston three times a year and in the playoffs with their whistles, bells, face-paintings, and signs in French. Despite the Bruins recent success against the Habs, truth is that they've broke the hearts of Boston fans time and time again and now could be in line to steal the thunder away from Boston and the Winter Classic with an outdoor game of their own that could ultimately seat more people. If Bettman realizes the success he and the marketing department of the NHL have had with these outdoor games, he'll make the right choice (and make Boston a slightly less angry city) and limit it to just one game per year and keep Montreal out of this.

Honestly, when it boils down to it, no one outside the province of Quebec cares how old the Montreal Canadiens are.

7 comments:

Dennis said...

You have no idea. I see that "humor" is attached to your writeup but it's not really funny at all. I think you're too young to get it. Nobody outside the province of Quebec? Are you kidding? I don't think you understand Canada, or Habs fans, or Canadians love of this sport.I live 3000 miles from Montreal. There are Habs fans around the world. You know, I love the Canadiens-Bruins rivalry, but I really love it when I read things from people who know what they're talking about. That's not you. You can't speak for Habs fans of all ages in all corners of the world, so don't bother trying.And could you please try to be funnier next time?

Ty Anderson said...

Oh please, give it a rest troll. This was satire, but pinheads like you take it 100% seriously and lose sleep over it. Read other stuff I have here next time you want to accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about.

Dennis said...

Calling someone a troll shows a real lack of class.You need to be a bit older. Satire? You're not qualified.

Dennis said...

Lose sleep over it? Are you serious? Do you consider yourself that important?

Ty Anderson said...

And you're qualified (while posting from an anonymous name with no link to your I'm sure very humorous writing) I suppose?

You're a joke. I write an article on my blog about a team I hate and why I think the centennial brouhaha has had it's run and you whine about it in a comment box with an anonymous name like a child.

Did you honestly think I thought that no one outside of Quebec likes the Canadiens? You're a fool buddy, you done yet?

A real lack of class? Coming from the guy who attacks a peice and tells me I know nothing. Don't like the work? Don't read it. You stooge.

I'm all for having a hockey discussion, but what you're insisting upon doing is literally trolling.

Marino said...

Ty: 1
Troll: 0

Anonymous said...

If you don't like critics, don't publish articles on the Internet ;)

@ Marino : I would make it a tie between Ty and the troll, just to see the overtime. Playoff, sudden death overtime I mean ^^